Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tinnitus: Mayo Clinic

I recently discovered the Mayo Clinic web site and noticed that they listed Hyperbaric Chamber as a temporary relief treatment.

There have been other studies: Click here and navigate to page 33 to see more about Hyperbaric study results.

We do know that SCUBA diving causes blood pressure to raise at depth. We also know that more air volume is needed to fill the lungs at depth. The percentage of oxygen/other gasses is the same but the molecules are more condensed. That is the reason for a regulator. Astronauts in space notice a significant change in blood pressure. Blood pressure changes to very low (due to weightlessness). The heart doesn't have to work as hard in space.

My theory is that compressed and expanded oxygen molecules have an effect in the blood stream that impacts tinnitus. The alveoli in the lungs, are where a researcher should look closely. Also the oxygen pressure inside of the fluid of the cochlea. Another area to research would be oxygens affect on the auditory center inside of the brain. For example, is oscillation affected by more oxygen at depth?

Nasa should send someone with tinnitus into space to see if the tinnitus doesn't disappear completely.

I cold be wrong, true weightlessness (in space) may impact objective and subjective tinnitus in a positive way because people with bent cilia in the cochlea may have the hairs begin to float back to their normal position in a weightless environment. It is also possible for the broken cilia, inside of the cochlea of a chronic severe tinnitus sufferer, would begin to float around and cause more damage inside of the cochlea (in space). In my opinion, it warrants a space experiment.

I have subjective tinnitus. I do notice a reduction in my ringing ears during and for a few hours after SCUBA diving. I can't explain it. I'm perplexed as to why it happens.

It could be that the sound underwater is masking the ringing, or the auditory center of the brain is distracted by some other brain function that only occurs when I SCUBA dive (oxytocin release could be the reason), or the compressed oxygen molecules in my system are having an impact on my brain and auditory system.

Another possibility is that the oxygen pressure in the fluid inside my cochlea has changed at depth. The cochlea is a fluid filled space and shouldn't be impacted by pressure. But if the amount of oxygen has been delivered more efficiently to my cochlea that could be the answer. The tinnitus does return suddenly, like a light switch has turn on. It is perplexing.

There is some evidence that points to increased oxygen at depth as a future treatment method for some tinnitus sufferers.










3 comments:

bayofpigs said...

There actually have been hyperbaric studies.

They are contradictory and inconclusive -- but one showed significant improvement, among people who suffered from severe tinnitus.

(I believe the most recent test was the one that showed improvements.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18225611?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

greekair444 said...

I found two things one is scuba diving to a depth past 17' my tinnitus will fade out.
and the second is using head phones with bass to vibrate the outer ear lobe. my tinnitus is between 18000db
an 24000db pitch its a very loud pitch.

Steven Lucas said...

Thanks for sharing. More people are visiting this blog everyday. Your insights have helped promote awareness.