Monday, July 16, 2012

Tinnitus: Acupuncture

I have heard mixed reviews as to whether acupuncture has any affect on tinnitus. Since I didn't know, I thought I'd try it out. I saw an acupuncturist today.

Theory:
Since the auditory center of the brain is like an electrical circuit board I could imagine that inhibiting or stimulating certain nerves would possibly work to provide temporary relief. Acupuncture wouldn't fix the damaged cells in the cochlea but it could feasibly stop the ringing by inhibiting the brain from continuing to generate the ringing sound.

The ringing is generated by the auditory center of the brain and is an indicator that my cochlear cells are damaged. The acupuncturist focused on the brain and not the ears. The cochlear cells are damaged and non-regenerative therefore acupuncture will not repair the cells. The cochlear damage is a constant. The ringing, however, may prove to be a variant if it is somehow able to be switched off or reduced.

Is acupuncture the right tool to switch off the ringing sound that is generated by the auditory center of the brain?

Practice:
I spoke with the acupuncturist and explained exactly what I was hoping to accomplish. She showed me a map of nerves that affect the brain. She identified the brain's temporal lobe nerves located on the left and right ear lobes. She stuck pins in my ear lobes at the mapped locations.

It only hurt for a half a second. The pain was very mild. She also placed pins in my hands, feet, and forearms. I barely felt them. She left me alone in the room for 15 minutes. Nothing happened to my tinnitus. It didn't get worse or better. It just stayed the same.

Just because acupuncture didn't work for me does not mean that it will not work for you. Everyone's tinnitus is different because we chronic tinnitus sufferers are all uniquely out of tune. Give it a try.

"Never ever doubt what no one is sure about." - Willy Wonka

No comments: