Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tinnitus: Pain

I very seldom feel pain from the tinnitus. Sometimes it feels like the nerves are tugging in towards the brain and making a sound like heavy traffic...vroom...vroom...vroom sound. Other times it will sound like one car passing through my head from left ear to right ear....vroooooom. It only happens when I am sleep deprived or highly stressed.

There is a high degree of annoyance associated with this phenomenon because it is compounded by the constant ringing that I normally experience 24/7. If I add eye droppers to dilate my eyes for an eye exam I instantly get the vrooom vroooom sound.

Other than that discomfort I don't experience pain. The ringing is like pain. Internal sound generated by the auditory system is like pain in that a part of your body is malfunctioning and your brain is trying to tell you that fact. I have felt pain during and after an MRI. The tinnitus was so loud that my ears ached afterward for three days.

Typically, you should not experience pain with tinnitus. On some occasions it is possible but it is usually temporary. But, for the most part, no pain.

No comments: