Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tinnitus: NPRS Field Test Results


Noise Pollution Reduction System (NPRS):

  • Resound Live TS hearing aids with maskers
  • Bose Quietcomfort 15 headphones
  • H2n Recorder with Wind Screen

A few weeks ago I announced that the system depicted in the photograph helps to reduce noise pollution and may help to isolate noises that cause tinnitus to flare up or get worse. I tested the device at the loudest event that I could find...the local Scottish Festival.

While wearing the system I was able to successfully control the sound of large crowds, entertainers, bagpipers, and low flying aircraft without my tinnitus flaring up. I found myself using the mic gain on the recorder frequently throughout the day. It worked.

There is one problem. Last night my tinnitus was really loud. It was impossible to fall asleep. My theory is that even though I successfully protected my ears from noise discomfort I may not have protected my auditory center of the brain from the vibrations of the sounds around me through my skull. Imagine 20 bagpipers and four drummers. It was very loud.

My guess is that the skull bones can attenuate the damaging sound vibrations. Therefore, the sound vibrations still pass through the brain. Imagine the brain as a bowl of jello placed next to a loud speaker at a rock concert. If loud enough, the sound vibrations would jiggle the jello despite the fact that the jello cannot hear. Vibrations probably have a similar affect on us even if our outer ears are protected. We may not instantly feel the effects.

The problem with tinnitus is that the brain's dendrites and axons are oscillating (like a car stuck in idle). If vibrated it may cause the oscillation to increase.

I can't imagine how to stop damaging sound vibrations from passing through the brain short of inventing a light-weight double airspace helmet (that no one would want to wear at work or in public).

The lesson learned here is that the NPRS could be used for certain events but other noise events that generate extremely loud noise vibrations should be avoided.

I've used NPRS to go to the movies and a little league game and it worked great with no increase in tinnitus. That was not possible just a few weeks ago. So, there is success. You may find that the system reduces cabin noise in an aircraft and other noises that you could not tolerate before due to hypersensitivity.

In a previous post I recommended that you may be able to take the system to a concert. Now I would say that you should consider the noise vibration issue and be cautious. Touch the exterior of the headphones to feel the vibration level. If it seems excessive to you then leave the event to protect yourself.

No comments: