Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tinnitus: Solution for Controlling Environmental Noise Levels

Summary: The following solution is not a cure for tinnitus. It is a solution to a problem that plagues tinnitus sufferers. The problem is that many people with tinnitus have had no control over loud or annoying environmental noises that aggravate the condition. This is a solution that works for me.

Background:
As subjective chronic tinnitus gets worse there are certain noises (lawn equipment, etc.) that trigger the ringing and make it even louder.

Since late 2009, I have had great difficulty in attending any of the following events:
1. Going to the movies
2. Going to church services
3. Going to concerts or plays
4. Going to any ceremony whereby a PA or sound system is used.
5. Flying (due to annoying engine and internal compartment sounds)

I did go to some of these events but I paid the price of sleepless nights with loudly ringing ears.

Here are the two questions that people immediately ask me when I explain this problem to them:

1. Why not wear earplugs during these events? 
Answer: Since the ringing is inside of the ears, earplugs enhance the sound of the ringing resulting in louder and more annoying ringing from within. In short, earplugs make the condition worse. 

2. Why not wear hearing aids during these events?
Answer: Hearing aids can help to mask and distract the tinnitus sufferer from the normal everyday ringing sound inside of the ears but does not block annoying environmental noise. 

Problem Statement: 
Outside environmental noise is being produced that makes the tinnitus worse. This results in me living a life of explaining why I can't attend certain events or avoiding people so that I don't have to explain.  

My theory:
If I can control or filter the volume of external noises entering my ears I can limit the annoyance level and attend events like I used to be able to do.

Key Components:
Resound Live TS Hearing Aids (with maskers)
Noise Cancellation Headphones (Bose)
iPhone
iRig Recorder App (free)

Here is how it works: 
I have my Resound Live TS hearing aids in my ears with the maskers on. I have noise cancellation headphones on and plugged into the iPhone while running the iRig Recorder app. I do not need to be recording in order to hear and control the volume of environmental noise. As a result, I am now in control of the loudness of sounds entering my ears and am therefore not as easily irritated by annoying external environmental noise. I am in total control of the headphone volume. I can now attend events 1-6 above.

Does it work?
It absolutely works to buffer against noises that would otherwise aggravate the tinnitus. I have personally tested it at a movie theater, against low-flying aircraft, against lawn equipment. I found myself in a movie theater turning the volume up and down as needed and enjoying the movie rather than being forced to listen to aggravating noise levels that just a few days ago I had no control over. 

Implementing the Solution:
If you decide to use this solution you'll need to download iRig Recorder to your iPhone and go to Setup. Once in Setup check the Latency settings. I have my "In Level" set to 15 and the "Out Level" set to -8. Adjust it as you deem appropriate for your tinnitus.

While still in the Latency Setup on iRig Recorder, you should use Ultra Low and then scroll down to Background Audio and make sure that the button is not red. If it is red, click on it to turn it gray (even though it reads "ON" it is off if the button is gray).

After your Latency settings are set in iRig Recorder you will be able to press the home button on the iPhone and then put the iPhone in sleep mode (by clicking the top right button on the iPhone). This will save battery power and allow you to use the microphone and headphones while the iPhone is sleeping. Make sure that your headphone is turned on (otherwise you will hear nothing).

You'll be able to go to a movie theater and enjoy the movie at the level of sound that is most comfortable for you. You'll also be able to adjust the sound at will during the movie.

There are two cables that come with your Bose Noise Cancellation Headphones. One has a microphone and the other one does not. Make sure that the one with the microphone is plugged into your headphones and the iPhone.

Remember that this solution works for me. You may have a different level of tinnitus or have a different cause, remember to always consult an audiologist about whether this solution is right for you before you implement it.

Credit:
I knew that I needed a systems expert to help me work through the solution. I called a friend who is the greatest systems expert that I know. Within a few days of contacting him we had the solution.

David Werkheiser, a nuclear engineer, and I teamed up to provide this solution. David was instrumental in helping to research and recommend key components.

1 comment:

Ami J. said...

Steve, can you please email me with your contact info? - Don Jones georgiajoneses@windstream.net