Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tinnitus: White Noise Masking

I used to use a fan to mask the sound of my ringing ears until the ringing got so loud that it was above the sound of the fan. I turned to Resound Live TS hearing aids. They do help. Plus, I was fitted for them by my audiologist. So I am absolutely sure that the masking is at the right range specific to my ringing ears.

There are some white noise masker Apps available for download from the iTunes Store. There is one called Tinnitus. I tried it and it may help some people who's ears are in that range. My ringing is not in that range and so it did not mask my ringing.

There is an App that I've tried that I like. It is called White Noise. The App allows users to mix sounds. I mixed the Heavy Rain and the Thunder sounds and found that it did mask my ringing a bit. White Noise App didn't mask my ringing as well as my Resound Live TS but it is nice to have a different sound to listen to that has a similar affect.

Before you use any masker, you should speak to an audiologist. A masker could make your tinnitus worse if you have subjective tinnitus like mine. If you find yourself turning the masker up louder and louder you'll eventually turn it up to unsafe levels that can damage your ears. So be careful.


No comments: