Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tinnitus: Techno Gadgets

Here is my experience with techno gadgets:

Cure-omonics 
I'm calling them Cure-omonics because they claim to be a cure. But, you know who I'm talking about right? They are selling this product for a hefty price. The music has wind-chimes mixed in that negatively affected my tinnitus. You might have a different experience. 

Hearing Aids with Maskers Built-in - I use maskers everyday. The maskers actually do help to mask some of the high-pitched ringing.  I'm using Resound Live TS. In my opinion, it is far better to listen to the sound of the masker than it is to listen to the highest pitch of my tinnitus. Maskers don't help me sleep better. But maskers do help me to better control my voice so that I'm not talking over the high pitch ringing. (A.K.A. YELLING!) 

Noise Cancellation Headphones - I purchased a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones. Why? Because loud or annoying noise (traffic, printers, lawn equipment, sirens, movie theater sounds, microphone feedback, jet engines or propellers, etc) can make tinnitus worse. My goal is to "control my context" by bringing those noises down to levels that are safe for me. The Bose headphones work for me. I can take them to a movie theater and still hear the movie but at a much safer level and best of all...I can keep my maskers in my ears at the same time. Noise cancellation headphones are expensive but, in my view, are worth every penny that I've spent on them. 

Note: Someone asked me if I am embarrassed to wear hearing aids in public. My response, "I would wear a funny hat in public if it relieved my tinnitus even a little bit." 



No comments: